Monday, September 30, 2024

Is the old feeble Chinese ( ? ) man living here OK?

Last week coming off my walk along a path along the Oakland Beach Shore I came across an old Chinese man nearby house property who apparently had fallen on his buttocks. Possibly injured on the ground, he signaled to me to help him get back on his feet. I did go to help the old Chinese man who , I think , could speak little English. " No wife ,relative, friend or neighbor around to help him ? " I wondered. I grabbed his extended hand but the old man did not seem to have much strength in his legs. An upright " quad cane " was nearby. Recalling my CNA training I lifted him up -a little - by supporting his shoulders from behind under both my arms. I was just able to get his surprisingly heavy body seated in the chair on the lawn. I took out my cell phone and asked him if he wanted to make a call . He mumbled a thank you . But then I had to leave to catch the next RIPTA 3 bus back to Cranston. Whoever he is , this old and frail Chinese man must need daily assistance. A week later I passed by that Oakland Beach home near the bus stop. But I did not spot him and there was no neighbor visible to whom I could report his fall. It is dangerous for the frail elderly to be living alone !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron