Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Still around -those old Italian barbers-my guy Sal

   My Italian barber is past age 80 and named " Sal ".  Sal now works part time at " Jim' Hair Salon "on Reservoir Ave. in Cranston- not far from the Burger King on Park Ave. I think my younger brother John was a regular customer of retiring Tony. These old Italian immigrant family barbers hear a lot of tales and often tell them. That Knightsville neighborhood near St. Mary's Church is the quintessential Italian-American neighborhood. Even the road is divided by those red, white, and green Italian flag colors.
My Italian immigrant grandmother, living on Federal Hill for 50 years, would -affectionately I am sure - put down my " shoe maker " grandfather: " Hey, Shoemaker, I should've married The Barber ! ".
When my grandfather, Ludovico, lost his own shoe repair shop he found work at UNCAS Jewelry - but was scolded for being " too slow ".
Those old City of Providence Directories( 1922- 1965 ) still found in the reference area of the Providence Public Library can refresh memories about the Old Neighborhood. My grandparents lived at 62 Gesler St.
At Pops's funeral ( from Nardollilo to nearby St. Ann's Cemetery ) my brother Mike and I suddenly had a moment of hilarious, comic relief , doubt : Was Pop ( Domenico ) -just possibly- il barbiere 's  ragazzo  ?
Another Italian barber memory : a guy known as " Sanitary Joe " misunderstood my kid brother Mike's hair cutting instructions and    Mike showed up at an Italian wedding with an awful looking crew  cut-  just a Marine Corps boot camp style  shaved head.
I can still smell Sanitary Joe's Bay Rum- a bit of olfactory pleasantness in his dingy joint
A quartet of  Italian barbers had a shop in Washington Park Square in Providence back in the 1950s One had a reputation  as " a bookie ". Another said  that my uncle Nicholas -fluent in the Italian language - was a " fascist ". The boss of the place was  Al . Sitting in the barber chair I could see my Broad Street School and Collier's bakery .
I visit  my elderly -but still good- barber  Sal  only four times a year: in summer, fall, winter, spring. But no social security increases next year ( and soon no more Senior Bus Pass ) . So just one hair cut for me next year- just before Easter. Sorry about that, Sal !
Tony's Barber Shop in Cranston

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron