Saturday, December 12, 2015

Poe story an allegory of decaying capitalism : " But outside was the Red Death ".

" The putrefaction of American capitalism " , makes me think of a number of Edgar Allan Poe horror stories as allegories of the decaying capitalist system. In one of them a certain very sick M. Valdemar has been hypnotized at the point of death. He tries to communicate this one wish: " please let me die." In another famous Poe short story Prince Prospero is hosting an eerie ball in a mysterious haunted palace. The masked guests are desperate about forgetting something dreadful: yes, "outside was the Red Death."
“Something has happened in this country which, as any good Marxist will tell you, can’t happen…the proletariat has become bourgeois.”
When I was in high school my English class was assigned " The Communist Manifesto " to encourage our " critical thinking " skills. The introduction to the text seemed longer than the Manifesto itself. It made the point that oh-so-MIDDLE CLASS America was a living refutation of the Marxist view.
Later we were asked a question about the J.D. Salinger classic " The Catcher in the Rye ". Holden Caulfied was to me just a young middle class neurotic kid- but very alienated. I loved the way he found everything so very PHONY. " What will become of Holden ? " the teacher asked. I crudely and boldly said : " He 's going to become a communist ! "
Well in those still liberal days I did not risk my B+ grade.
Poe story an allegory of decaying capitalism ?



    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

    Ron