Sunday, September 27, 2015

" He's a Rebel " ( by The Crystals ) and James Dean's influence on a young friend

" He's A Rebel " by the Crystals  I  associate that famous 1970 poster of young James Dean with newly met friend of mine-17 year old RFM. My young friend ( I was an older guy of 22 ) was quite THE REBEL himself and wore a bright red jacket very similar to the one his dead and now legendary idol wore in " Rebel  Without A Cause ". We viewed together all three of the James Dean cult films on the East Side of Providence. I remember being moved by the theme music of " East of Eden ". And by Dean's " just struck oil " scene in " Giant ". And by Dean's compassion for the disturbed  misfit " loser " Plato in " Rebel Without A Cause ".
        The late 60s and early 70s were meant for young rebels WITH A CAUSE. RFM and I protested the Vietnam War together. This blue eyed, skinny, long black hair REBEL was soon against the " whole damned suffocating system " by 1969. He dropped out of Hope High School(though highly literate with a phenomenal, stage actor's memory ) having mocked the school principal ( Max Flaxman )  in a well circulated leaflet. One night at our house he lectured me-with the help of a little whiskey and water - on the history of American Trotskyism Then he was drawn to Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman and their anarchic YIPPIES ( " Youth International Party " ) Later he agreed  - along with me -to serve as a presidential elector of  the American Communist Party - just for the hell of it. In truth, he knew that these people( ( like one middle aged friend John Hovan ) had been persecuted by McCarthyism -and he hated bullying or ideology - " a brain disease ".
      He would have been honored to have been handed a subpoena back then by the HOUSE UN-AMERICAN ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE. We talked about  " subpoena envy ".
           By chance I discovered a link between  " Rebel  Without A Cause "  and  those young 60s radicals -with a cause. The James Dean movie had been based on a book by American psychiatrist Robert Lindner. He had written a book that had influenced me before I met RFM : " Must You Conform ? " Lindner explained the 11th Commandment of American capitalist society : THOU SHALT CONFORM .
        A biography of James Dean claims he was bi-sexual. RM was very attracted to " Jimmy ". And in his late twenties admitted to being gay himself.  I have not seen him in many years . I am sure I could still see the " devil " in those now 63 year old  blue eyes.
           Am I still a rebel - with a cause ?  Check out my blog  [http://radicalrons.blogspot.com]
     A favorite 60s pop song by the Crystals : " He's  a Rebel "  ( " and he'll never be any good.... but that's no reason why I can't give him all my love.... " )
I associate this photo of James Dean with a certain friend RFM in Providence circa 1970

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron