Saturday, July 18, 2015

50th High School Reunions- " Our Town " stuff

" Brown Sugar " on you tube






   If a 50th high school reunion does not stir up profound reflection in your soul , I guess nothing much more dramatic will. I wonder if some " Our Town " type play has been written about this " rite of passage " : one simply must present oneself for judgment to old school mates. And what did you do with YOUR life ? For some of us it might be more like a nightmare of regression.
But I have had a rather happy experience with old year books-not my own. When my older brother Rick passed away I acquired his 1964 Hope High School ( Providence, R.I.) Yearbook.There had been a write up in the Providence Journal on one Claudia J. Offley. She was attending her 50th high school reunion. I looked for her name and picture in Rick's yearbook. She is given a poetic description way back then: " Her very frowns are fairer far than smiles of other fair maidens are ".
Today Claudia is known to the world as Claudia Lennear , the " Brown Sugar " of the Rolling Stones song.
In a Connecticut antique store my sister found and bought a 1962 Hope High School Year Book. I soon spotted my old friend Bill , now a math professor at URI. Can you believe that in 1962 there was actually a Slide Rule Club at Hope High ?
And a glimpse of my old Latin teacher, Mr. James Smith. Yes, indeed: CARPE DIEM !

A 25th high school reunion gets eerie in movie " Peggy Sue Got Married "

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron