Monday, January 28, 2019

Unattributed Malcolm X quote in URI library inscription


Education As A Way To Find Freedom In Prison

 
“I just remember thinking this can’t be it,” said Bou. “I felt like, you’re not going to do this to me. I’m not going to let you turn me into an animal. I’m going to be normal when I get out.”

When he returned to general population, Bou began reading everything he could get his hands on. He even started learning French. But Bou's ultimate goal was to earn his bachelor's degree "

Bou would enjoy reading a whole chapter in the " Autobiography of Malcolm X " in which Malcolm explains his very fruitful prison education. It might have been at this very MCI-Norfolk.

There is an inscription of Malcolm X very words ( on how reading books in prison was his university) on the front of the University of Rhode Island ( URI ) library in Kingston .Definitely Malcolm X, the assassinated ( 1965 ) Black Muslim . But strangely Malcolm's name is not there. Blotted out ?

His prison " education " only made Malcolm X more radical. He made a connection between racism and capitalism, between racism and American imperialism .

My favorite Malcolm X quote : " Show me a capitalist and I'll show you a blood sucker ".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron