Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Animal shelters can be somewhat callous about a former pet's human companions

 
Anyone who ever loved a pet knows that they have feelings.   My 75 year old companion Dorene and I had to give up our beloved pets " Dottie " and " Mindy " not long after her bone cancer spread to her liver.
 We took " our girls " to a  GOOD ( no kill ) pet shelter on Elbow St in Providence, Rhode Island. It broke Dorene's heart and she cried a lot about it.
 
 
 But we were happy to hear that our " Dottie " and " Mindy " were quickly adopted TOGETHER . Dorene has since passed away . When Dorene was lying in bed with " Mindy " at her shoulder and " Dottie " at her feet, I thought of the small French poodle dogs , one black ( we called Mindy " The Monkey "  ) , one white  ( Dottie was " The Perfect French Lady ") as her guardian angels.  
         When Dorene was dying at the Hope Hospice Center in Providence there was a photo of " our girls " by her bedside.     
 
       I am sure Dottie and Mindy have found a loving home. " You have given them the gift of life " I would console Dorene a number of times.    
 
     But the adoption process is somewhat callous about all the other caring people in a dog's life. Dorene and I lived in public housing " ( Randall Manor in Cranston ) and there was just nobody we knew who could take the dogs.
 
 I did not want to separate Mindy ( whom I legally owned ) from Dottie. They were always together in Dorene's apartment. We would walk them together on the property. Dottie hated to be more than 10 feet from Dorene's window. So she was getting chubby for a " small " dog. Mindy would bark as if ferocious at anybody in sight . I would shake my finger at her : "How come you don't want anybody to know that you are a NICE  monkey ?  But how come you're so cute ? "  Dorene would add " because ".       
       
    How I miss my Randall Manor " family " . I would love to see Dottie and Mindy again . But I am clueless how.    
 
              You can see a video of Dottie and Mindy on one of my YOU TUBE videos.

Sad Dog crying at animal shelter
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron