Saturday, October 3, 2015

Yogi Berra and Field of Dreams memory still Fenway Park green

             

I associate the name YOGI BERRA with the major league baseball golden age in America. The Fall of any year between 1952-1962 ( for my own Field of Dreams memory) : Yogi catching behind home plate for the Damm Yankees. He looked like a Federal Hill Pizza man. But what a player. Young Mickey Mantle- in later years a pathetic drunk making more money on autographs and restaurants. " Whitey Ford " - what a NAME for a Yankee pitcher. Roger Maris-moving in on Babe Ruth's home run record of 60.
I was surprised to learn that Yogi Berra played for the Cranston Chiefs ( 1946 ? ) . I posted this bit in my blog .From Wikipedia reference :

" I must say I am quite excited about a recent comment from Joan responding to my Blog about Yogi Berra’s playing days in Cranston, RI.
As you may recall, he played under the name of Cusano. Joan noted that her father, Jack O”Donnell, was the young coach of that team, The Cranston Chiefs, and that her brother, Jack, Jr. had the scrapbooks of those days.
Yogi used the name Cusano because that was his mother’s maiden name.
Nonetheless, Jack will arrange to have me see those scrapbooks when he gets them to his sister.
The arrangements are under way, and I will go with dear friend and baseball aficionado, Jack.
Needless to say, I am quite excited....

Yogi Berra- a baseball memory still green
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron