Tuesday, July 14, 1998

An ethnic lesson from a neighbor

While sitting quietly on the stairs of my apartment building -in

    the twilight of a fine summer day, gulping down what remained of my Del's

    lemonade, I encountered a neighbor, a seemingly friendly, garrulous type.

    A retired Navy man and Korean War veteran, he likes to travel and now

    was just returning from a pleasant vacation in Canada.

        What he found most delightful about the north region was -to be blunt-

    the absence of Third World types - blacks, hispanics, Asians. " No

    crime there ", he pointed. " In the town I visited there had not been

    a murder in 50 years -and that was an accident", he said.

          " You know why  THEY come here? " he asked me. Then he gave the

    answer : " FOOD - we have a lot of FOOD here. They go right down to the

    welfare office to get their food stamps. In Florida there are signs

    telling them to come to Rhode Island . Because we have the most generous

    welfare program in the country. "

         I listened to him talk in this way, neither agreeing nor strongly

    disagreeing . I certainly think that there is an immigration " problem "

    here but hope there is some humane way to deal with it.

         " I could never live in Providence ", he continued. Those Italians,

    he said, keep Mayor Cianci in office. " The mafia business and all ".

       He told me - oblivious of my last name - that the Italians ( " they

    use to call them guineas, you know "  )   completely control the town

    of Johnston. " I remember going to the city hall. They tell me: ' Can't

    help you today. Roco is not in '.

          " The problem with a lot of people today", he said , " is that

    they don't read. They don't know anything. They just don't know what's

    going on ".

          Finally I was able to agree completely with him. I'm sure we will

    make great friends. If I can just change my last name !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron