Tuesday, July 14, 1998

Your poetry needs IMAGES ! (to Ken Weber)

Ken, it is clear to your readers that you have a poetic feeling

    for the beauties of Nature. I can no more SEE these  marvels than I can


    SEE the once starry sky at night.( I still can see a really starry sky

    when I visit my brother Rick's home in Foster. )

            Living in  Providence most of my life, I have been struck by the

    dearth of things natural that I ever really SEE. For years know I have

    been fond of nature films ( National Geographic, Life on Earth, The Living

    Planet, Nova series ) and also have enjoyed the abundance of beautiful

    nature photography.

         It occurred to me yesterday when I gazed at the illustration of

    your column that ALL your columns would benefit from a color photo or

    two- taking up no more space than that nice but uninstructive illustration-

    of the nature scenes you reflect on so poetically .

             Color photos will - I have no doubt - win for you more readers.

       Just a friendly suggestion from a reader .

        ( I am forwarding to you my letter to the editor today )

        EDIT   ABOVE   " for years NOW  "   ***

- - - - - - - - -
Hi Mr. Ruggieri,

    Thanks for your note. I agree that good color photographs would dress up my
    columns, but I don't think that's going to happen. For one thing, it's not
    practical to send somebody out to shoot what I write about, and the Journal is not likely to have all those photos on hand. Also, the paper uses color only
    on certain pages, so the column would have to be shifted elsewhere. And they have a desire to keep the drawings for consistency's sake.

    Anyway, thanks for the thought.

    ken weber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron