Friday, November 6, 2015

" Thinking about things " ..... Bobby Darin and Proustian memory

" Thinking about things "
    I love these heartfelt COMMENTS on You Tube that connect an old song with a poignant memory of youth , of sad or happy days. I too at age 68 find myself " thinking about THINGS " that awaken the Proustian memory. Not just old songs but old mental images , memories still green. One of these first song memories I recovered on You Tube was a Christmas song I first heard while watching that black and white TV on a cold winter day in 1953 in the Valley View Housing Project in Providence, Rhode Island : " Here Comes Suzy Snowflakes ". Also,a song I may have heard in the first grade at St. Edward's Catholic School nearby : " Our Lady of Fatima ". It is still nice to imagine the kind Holy Mother resting on a silvery Moon in a star studded night sky. The Holy Mother of unconditional divine love- in a cold, indifferent or possibly malevolent universe-for me best described by Albert Camus or Thomas Hardy.
      ***      You Tube comment 
  [This reminds me of my childhood so much. Like when I was really little, my parents split up and I went to live with my Mum and my little brother. She used to play this song in the kitchen and called it our song while we danced around together. I legitimately haven't heard it since I was 6 years old and I'm so happy I found it.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron