Friday, July 21, 2017

The tragedy my old blue collar neighborhood Washington Park


The murder of Justine Damond and police violence in America


One reason why I voted for Niles Niemuth in the 2016 presidential election. Not trusting the corrupt state of Rhode Island I took a digital photo of my ballot.

Way back in early 70s my working class pals in the Washington Park area of Providence - often unemployed because blue collar factory work was dying out- were regular victims of police brutality -despite being big , tough, and Irish ( like the Providence cops ) .

Al was a Vietnam War veteran nicknamed " Tail Gunner Al " . Al  ( also nicknamed named " The Kind V " ) became a hopeless drug addict and alcoholic. He died of a heart attack more than 20 years ago. I read a note left at his graveside . Al was always refraining : " There is no justice ! "

The note read : " Al, I hope you find justice in the next world."

Al's close friend Tommy- once battered senseless by the cops- ( too much Wild Irish Rose ) died not long after.

By 1973 my more sober and disciplined friends were literally walking over the " Washington Park Zombies " to get into their apartments.

I met one " Joanie " in Kennedy Plaza a few days ago.She just got out of Butler mental hospital. Toothless at age 60 , she asked me for two dollars - for cigarettes sold singly , I guess. I remember her as a rather lovely girl of 16 in the local coffee shop.

So many wasted , wasted lives in once thriving Washington Park.

I recall the " Officer Friendly " there who visited the elementary schools to tell the kids what the police were all about.
Image result for officer friendly program




Broad Street School was renamed some years ago after a local " philanthropist ".. This Mr. Feinstein has his name inscribed on many buildings along with his words of wisdom - worthy of Andrew Carnegie.

Image result for Broad Street School , Providence , RI
My Broad Street School now Alan Shawn Feinstein School

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron