Sunday, April 26, 2015

Walking is good for you


This story of 100 year old Ruth Couch and her life long walking habit rings completely true for me. I too am a constant walker. Growing up in Washington Park, I took full advantage of my extended back yard, Rogers Williams Park. The world feels, looks , and smells better to the walker. For walking is a truly primal sensuous experience. You THINK more clearly after a long walk. You feel less angry and more constructive about whatever annoys you. You think kinder thoughts about all the people you know.. Walking is not a cure- all but it does make you happier. And happy people are never mean.After a half hour walking in Roger Williams Park I pass the Temple to Music and start hearing Beethoven's" Pastoral symphony " in my ear. Or Igor Stravinsky's " Rite of Spring ", or Vivaldi 's" Four Seasons "..Now and then I daydream about LSD being made legal and available in high quality. But walking is very much a natural high.And walking is friendlier too. There is no walker equivalent of road rage. You feel that the Good Earth belongs to everybody. Will I live to be a hundred ? A gypsy fortune teller at Rocky Point told me I would live to be 120. But a dialectical materialist is-of course- contemptuous of the occult.



                       





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron