Monday, April 27, 2015

Fwd: Mark Patinkin column on Clinton

 [ Excerpt from Mark Patinkin column, Dec. 10 , 1998 ]
Ronald Ruggieri asked: "How shallow and phony can your columnist Mark Patinkin be?"Mary Johnson added: "When I read your column yesterday, my first reaction was, 'Oh, please '  Others said I'd sold out. I'd been duped. They were talking about a column I'd done saying I'd changed my mind about President Clinton. Before, I acknowledged he'd been sleazy, but didn't see how it hurt the country. Then a reader gave an example. I printed it, and an avalanche of others...

    ( The title of  Mark's column : " It takes more than a president to raise a child ".
     " Ron Ruggieri of Warwick called me shameless for being swayed by what he called a two-bit-E-mail survey. " Like too many columnists , he said of me , "his own convictions are as deep as the paper his words are written on ". )
         In 1998 I was living with my now deceased brother Ray in his Church Ave. apartment in Warwick, R.I. Ray called me  " The Rocky of opinion giving ". Ray meant a spirited fighter. Ray himself was combating mental illness saying it was " like a boxing match with Satan ".
      Our dear Pop would pass away in October of 1999. He would have hated the new century. Pop had nothing to do with my radical outlook on life. As I told brother Steve : " You just can't rebel against Pizza and Puccini "
             Marx Patinkin has survived the attrition all these years at the Providence Journal just by being Mark, I suspect. A very " former radical ".

                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron