Tuesday, October 20, 1998

Let Chile judge Pinochet

I am no expert on Latin American politics, but in !973 I

    remember the name Pinochet sent chills down my spine. I recall reading

    about mass executions in sports stadiums. Just the other day the evil

    of Pinochet's regime was recalled to my mind while listening to

    actor Christopher Reeve's audio book " I'm still me ". Reeve mentioned

    trying to save  Chilean artists -like his father " politically progressive "-

    from the wrath of the bloody dictator Pinochet.

            Salvadore Allende, the Marxist, was a hero compared to Pinochet.

      I understand Spain thinks that he has the blood of Spanish citizens

    on his hands. Of course he could well have been a disciple of Spain's

    own notorious fascist, Francisco Franco . Did not that old bastard

    die peacefully in his sleep, a  revered old man ?

          The Cold War made the likes of Pinochet inevitable in Latin

    America. Would be dictators today do not have the bogeyman of international

    communism to help them hold on to power. Pinochet is a living dinosaur.

            It seems only just that the people of Chile themselves -who


    suffered under his regime - be the ones to judge Pinochet 's crimes     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron