Tuesday, October 13, 1998

Bill Reynolds on school sports

 I just read Bill Reynolds' column: " Local college sports

        now in 'don't count' category."  Just last week I learned that my

        niece, Beth Covil, was the winning pitcher in a game -her first ? -

        played out at Rhode Island College. She's there -and playing on the

        girls' softball team - with the help of an athletic scholarship.

               I was proud to hear this, of course. But aware of the " don't

        count " status of most college sports, I wondered if even the school

        paper reported their own victory !

              When Beth was a star athlete at Coventry High -now and then getting

        a headline in local paper - I asked her to e-mail me her playing

        schedule. But she never got around to it and I never saw her play even

        one game.

                Often I have longed to see these " don't count " games on high

        school or college  playing fields. On an early spring or New England

        fall day they can be a sensuous delight. I recall the French writer

        Albert Camus writing in his " Notebook " that he could still feel

        "innocent " watching young people play with so much heart on the

        athletic field. Perhaps Youth and Hope and Energy IS everything !

               One reason school games are poorly attended is that would be fans

        such as myself often do not have a clue about the WHERE and WHEN of

        them. Also many school playing fields cannot accommodate more than a

        few dozen spectators. They should also pay more attention to little

        things like available rest rooms and more appealing SACKS .

               And  adequate parking !

            Even the most homely school athletic field is still a " Field of Dreams ".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron