Sunday, June 14, 1998

Leo - one last " HUG "

 I was saddened to read  " Dr. Hug " , Leo Buscaglia 's obituary

    in the morning paper. I have read a few of his " love " books and have

    seen a few of his videos.

       My  " uncle " , Mike Pocino of Pascoag, R.I , died this week at the

    same age, 74, as Buscaglia. He never took " Love 101 " but never needed

    the course. This warm hearted, hugging Italian, left behind not less

    than 36 god-children. That makes him around here- in the true sense of

    the title- the Godfather of all Godfathers.

        Buscaglia could get away with his Loving & Hugging sermons because

    he was an  Italian for whom it all came naturally. Most writers of this

    type come across as rather sappy and insincere or manipulate. ( " I love

    you so much that I just know you'll want to do things My Way ! " )

        Buscaglia was good anti-dote to certain kinds of sexual abuse

    hysteria. I could only laugh at those silly teachers subjecting kids

    to those ridiculous " good touch, bad touch " lectures.

       I have read competent psychologists who point that kids especially

    can wither away spiritually if they are never hugged and kissed and

    " good-touched ". ( edit: " manipulative "..." point out " )

        These kids who crack up in a headline making way- how often were

    they hugged and kissed by the adults in their lives ?

       One last " hug " for Leo !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron