Wednesday, June 17, 1998

Joyce Purnick " controversy "

Good morning Froma. I had the same reaction to Joyce Purnick"s

    remarks on certain sad conflict between  motherhood and profession.

       What struck me was this: here is a truly empowered woman -in no

    need of male " rescue " - feeling forced to recant.

        And it was just common sense!

      I was very influenced by feminist writers when they were just obscure

    names in the library. Way back I loved Betty Friedan's now classic : " The

    Feminine Mystique ". I could SEE what she was talking about. I felt very

    sad about a woman's brain going to waste in her mother's role.

       When feminism began to get to have a rather obnoxious tone - dizzy

    from success- I felt more sympathy for the unpretentious mother and

    housewife snubbed by the world shaking MOVEMENT.

         There is inherent tragedy in a woman's situation. I just re-read

    Kate Chopin's 1899 classic " The Awakening ". The heroine , Edna Pontellier,

    could not be a " mother woman " but she could not be  quite " free "

    either with her patriachial husband and two young children. She ends up

    drowning herself in the sea. The book was a shocking scandal at  turn

    of the  century.

        Edna is still around !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron