Monday, June 29, 1998

Carl's Young's bureaucratese

I am wise enough not to write about things I hardly understand.

    But I just read " Blue Cross's mental health policy " by Carl Young.

    At first I thought I was reading a column by Carol Young . I believe

    this woman is on the editorial staff. "  Something very wrong here", I

    reflected. " No Projo columnist writes like THAT - the stuffy, atrocious

    deceptive BUREAUCRATIC style! " Then I looked more carefully at the name

    - " Carl ". I don't know the man. I know people often must play their

    assigned roles- even if it is obtuse bureaucrat. But I wonder if such a

    man could ever be FUN to talk to.

       The " responsible " bureaucrat in our society -almost without exception

    - loses the ability and even the will to utter  SIMPLE, TRUTHFUL

    sentences about their institution. Ultimately   he or she must lose

    the ability to to talk humanly about ANYTHING !


        Orwell was right about the obfuscation of the English language : it

    often hides petty, nasty motives !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron