Tuesday, June 23, 1998

Derelict friend in Patinkin column

An old friend of mine - whom anybody might judge on first impression

    as  an eccentric  derelict - " Emo "  Hovannesian of 327 Dexter St., South

    Providence  -  tells me that  his plight will be the subject of a Mark

    Patinkin column  tomorrow.

        I have before me the letter  Mayor Cianci sent him informing him

    that his very humble abode will soon be demolished in the interest of

    " neighborhood improvement  ". He and his 25 or 30 cats may soon be

    homeless. He spends a big chunk of his paltry social security income

    just to keep his " family " fed.

        Emo's Armenian family once owned oil wells in czarist Russia. He

    has or thinks he has a compensation claim on the present " democratic "

    government.

         I met Emo  way back in 1970 in the former Armando's Bar in downtown

    Providence. He was the friend of another friend who now and  then -hung over

    - slept in  my bathtub in that squalid  rooming house on North Main St.

    The " Welfare Blues Days  " !

           Emo - gifted in math - has a reputation for being a smart gambler.

    But tonight I loaned him a dollar for coffee.

         People  seeing him  in downtown Providence may think  he is  our

    answer to Ratso Rizzo  ( the  Dustin Hoffman character in " Midnight

    Cowboy " ) .

       When they are demolishing his home, he wants us to hear his defiant

    shout :  " I'm here !  I'm here !  "

       Emo is one of the few people in Providence with home I can discuss

    philosophy and higher mathematics. I hope people don't think that Mark

    Patinkin fabricated him. He is as REAL as I am !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron