Monday, June 8, 1998

Where's the beef?


          The question I was really asking inside the supermarket ( Stop & Shop

    Warwick Ave. across from Meadowbrook Cinema ) was : Where's the beans ?

          I could have walked around the store for ten minutes . I do like

    to walk around and eye-shop in the midst of all this  packaged  cornucopia.

    But a  user friendly  computer screen - operated by gentle touches -

    invited me for once to shop  more  quickly.

        I spelled out B-E-A-N-S    and quickly  located the exact spot on a

    numbered aisle  where I would find canned beans. Then I  spelled out

    M-A-C-A-R-O-N-I    and studied the  map on the screen. " What a neat

    idea! How thoughtful ! " , I said to myself.

           I immediately thought of more general possibilities. If I can get

    lost in a supermarket, I can also get lost in  big hospital or a big

    department store. Recently trying to find the  train station, I got

    lost in Boston. How  convenient to have computer maps  of  a city scattered

    about in frequented places like fast food places, at the intersections

    of  busy  streets: " You are HERE. The train station is THERE . "

         This is one  way  for a city to be more tourist friendly. Just

    as the Warwick supermarket found a way to be more customer friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron