Sunday, September 6, 1998

The Car has got to go !

Yesterday my companion pointed out to me the first sentence

    of a Boston Globe column  -unflattering to Rhode Island. The columnist

    pointed out that our tiny state is grandiose indeed in its  drunken

    driving road deaths .

          This morning I read the infuriating story of the Osorio sisters,

    Liselot and Sarai -ages 6 and 10 - left nearly dead in a street  near

    Roger Williams Park. A hit and run - and drunk ? - driver strikes

    again .

            The driver of that white car is a recklessly evil person , But

    our society seems to mass produce such types. I hope he gets the

    retribution he deserves.

             For years now I have had this heartfelt opinion : THE CAR ITSELF

    HAS GOT TO GO !

            Gradually - I hope- it might be possible to eliminate private

    cars from our crowded cities altogether. Just weeks ago I read how

    some European towns are beginning to do this . The concept of cars for

    RENT on the outskirts of these places is catching on .

          The idea that anybody not too old or feeble MUST own a car is

    being questioned. My grandfather - an Italian immigrant - use to say

    that the car was the " ruin of civilization " . How right he was !

           A saner future will literally put its stock in more public

    forms of transportation .

           I have already suggested in my E- mail letters to Cyberspace

    that cars should be banned from  place like Roger Williams Park -

    where people still look for a little serenity in the midst of urban

    noise, chaos, and ugliness .

             THE CAR MUST GO ! ( Today I'll be going to Foster. So I hope

    the car goes . )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron