Tuesday, September 15, 1998

Boomer grief- what's the fuss?


            " Now ages 34 to 52, baby boomers are meeting grief head-on

    as they experience deaths....in increasing numbers , " the newspaper

    article said . ( Kay Harvey, Knight Ridder Newspapers )

            I told a close friend of mine whose mother just passed

    away ( DIED! ) that hardly a week passes by lately without having

    to say adios to some person -friend, relative, or " enemy "- who

    was a big part of our life. Indeed we had just read the obituary

    of our Washington Park friend, " Tommy " ( an incurable drunk and

    drug addict - but still a likable guy ) .

           Neither Bill, my friend, nor I have any use for the grief

    counseling industry. The newspaper article on baby boomer grief

    says: " They need somebody who knows what's going on ".

         What a laugh ! Don't wait too long for somebody who

    knows what's going on !

            Bill and I concluded that the vast majority go through

    life unthinking - robotlike and without a clue. They gravitate

    to organized religion because it gives their stupid lives the

    illusion of purpose and significance. And an imbecilic spark of

    hope for an afterlife!

            I cannot say that I am without fear and anxiety -with

    all these people -a part of my life - now dying like flies

    around me. I recall a  ancient Latin tomb inscription: " As I

    am, so YOU will be ! "

           Not for nothing I have always been a horror story fan.

    " Sometimes They Come Back ?  " 

          Anxiety shows up in an occasional nightmare. Just the

    other night I had a horrible nightmare : My 76 year old father

    -who has leukemia- was being BURIED ALIVE with the connivance

    of an innovative funeral director.

         Just last week my mother received the last rights of the

    Catholic Church at Roger Williams hospital. I walked out of

    her room when the " vulture " chaplain returned to " comfort "

    her. Nothing personal;I just preferred the bright September

    sunshine and the fresh air.

            I recall the last part of James T. Farrell story

    where a man who lost his faith long before -and was now

    dying himself - concludes that death was just " a messy end

    to a mess ".

          Perhaps he needed a grief counselor !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron