Friday, September 11, 1998

Miller Ave. Speeding

 It was very sad news on the front page of the Providence Journal

    today : " Hit-run victim( Lisselot Osorio , age 6 ) dies from head

    injuries.. "

           Residents of Miller Ave. in Washington Park  had been complaining

    for some time about reckless speeders on their street. I observe the

    same thing on Church Ave. in  Warwick. A while back I observed a

    cop on my street with a radar gun. Somebody finally got caught - perhaps

    going 5 miles over the speed limit. But late at night Church Ave. still

    sounds like a speedway. One afternoon I witnessed some punk turn at

    that very dangerous intersection - Church and Warwick Ave - and drive

    out of control right into a telephone pole. I was on my way to the

    bakery across the street at the time. On the way back- though I am no

    busybody - I told a cop at the scene that I witnessed reckless driving.

    He was not too interested. I returned to my apartment.

           I do not want to bash the police department. Often what we have

    is just a " failure to communicate ".

        " Dropping a dime " on suspicious activity  should be replaced

    by something more high-tech.

         Police Departments in Rhode Island should consider setting up

    a public E-Mail message system. Someone in the department should

    specialize in monitoring and analyzing public complaints. Otherwise

    complaints like " speeding on Miller Ave. , will just be less than URGENT

    matters on the mind of some harried police lieutenant.

           Just a suggestion for our Officer Friendly types out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron