Friday, September 4, 1998

Extreme Unction indeed!

My mother was never very religious. But yesterday in

    the hospital this very sick -possibly dying - 76 year old woman

    received the last rites of the Catholic Church.

          Luckily she rallied and I was able to talk to her today. She

    still has a strong will to live. Today the chaplain who performed

    the service - once aptly named " extreme unction " - came into

    the room while I was chatting with my mother. All this I felt was

    her business. I went outside to get some fresh air, not wanting to

    experience anymore " unction " than I had to.

          In the September sunshine I had a flash of insight. I asked

    myself: Why does such a madly materialistic society care about an

    old woman 's " spiritual needs " when she is so near death ?

          What a farce ! I concluded that the social order cannot tolerate

    the idea of a mental rebellion -even at the point of death.

         Yes, they want to say that all dying " made peace " with God.

    The chaplain - vulture like - is there to smooth things over- in the

    service of the social order. Later , of course, the family will get

    the bill for his dubious " service ".

           Better not tolerate cursing, irreverent words from the dying,

    They might carry extraordinary weight!

          What if the dying person's last words were : FUCK GOD AND HIS

    WHOLE ROTTEN UNIVERSE !

         Now just for the record my sweet mother would utter no such

    blasphemies .

            But what a breath of fresh air - truly divine inspiration !

          But do not despair. Tomorrow is another day !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron