Wednesday, July 28, 1999

" Uh, who ? Patinkin ? "

    In a July 27 column , Mark Patinkin -after a phone encounter with an
" uh , duh " teenager - suggests that these kids be taught phone manners.
    But I wonder if they have been taught simple English communication
skills. I love the lyrics from " My Fair Lady " :
        " It's Uh and Duh that keep her in her place
         Not her wretched clothes and dirty face."
 ( a variation ) . When I hear teens listening to that savage,senseless,
   and violent rap music, I feel a threat to good, old fashioned CIVILIZATION
in my gut.
   A generation ago a half bright kid read the newspaper. He or she
would not have greeted a popular Providence Journal columnist like
Mark Patinkin with a witless " Uh " .
      Good luck with your own kids, Mark . I myself am a proud non-
parent of the New Age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron