Thursday, July 29, 1999

Einstein and Socrates - NOT atheists !

 I said I would do my homework on the question. I must conclude
that our village atheist, David Champagne -whom I can only respect - is
wrong about Einstein and Socrates being " atheists " ( Projo letter, July
28 )
      " I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly
harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate
and actions of human beings. " See Ronald W. Clark's " Einstein: The
Life and Times  " , page 502 .
       The 1996 Encyclopedia Americana says this about Socrates :
 " Socrates did claim supernatural guidance from a ' divine sign ' -
a kind of voice ... "  ( see Socrates, page 166 ).
       Today the most militant atheists are the Chinese communists.
  But I still suspect that they believe in the divinity of Central
  Committee of the Chinese Communist Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron