Thursday, February 25, 1999

Projo " archive "- a blessing

 I would like the editors of the Providence Journal to know

    what a blessing their  ON-LINE ARCHIVE is for  readers like myself

    - half gossip, half detective, scholar, and busy body.

            Just this week -using the RIC computers - I really got acquainted

    with this invaluable service . And I had no need of my golden credit

    card ( of course I have one ! ) to access the information I was looking

    for. The " key word " search did the trick.

            I always wanted to know who moved into my old family house in

    the Washington Park area of Providence. I found out fast enough by

    just typing in the old address. It turned out that a member was charged

    with assault on a 17 year old girl. I did not need to know the REST OF

    THE STORY.

            And I found out that a close and dear friend of mine was

    questioned about a dead body in a motel. I STILL do  not know the

    REST OF THE STORY.  ALL THAT was ten years ago. I tried to call " Don "

    but his Miami phone had been recently disconnected.

            I did not even know that the Providence Journal had published

    a letter of mine complaining that Roger Williams Park was turning into

    a " Third World pigsty ". Very politically incorrect ! My Grandmother

    Engley ( it practically says England! )  was little on the nasty side

    famous for her " poison pen ".

             I also found out that a fiery parish priest - way back then

    only about 35 - is still around. Father Behan - he looked a little like

    Mickey Mantle - was now preaching at St. Jude's in Lincoln.

            I also learned that my uncle " Nick " had been a city editor

    for the Providence Journal during the Depression era.

             I look forward to many more hours of snooping on your precious

    electronic " Archive " . Someday I might need  that credit card. But

    can deliver newspapers instead ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron