Tuesday, February 9, 1999

Bless the IRS !

Last week I sent an E-mail message to my friend Bill :" Tax

    form time ! "  He has always prepared my state and federal forms  in

    the past. But this year I  just wanted a quick estimate from him on the

    amount of refund I can expect. And I got it, about $ 900.00 .

           Instead of letting good old Bill do that tedious arithmetic ( he

    is a URI math teacher ) , I went right down to the Internal Revenue

    Office in downtown Providence. I had read about THEM now being more

    user friendly, willing to do  all that dreadful figuring themselves .

    And the information is stored immediately in their own computer

    system. This makes possible a quicker refund .

           To my complete surprise  I did not spend more than a half hour in

    IRS office with a courteous and humorous ( " You want to make a ' Monica '

    deduction for presidential campaigns ? " ) young man .

            I thought myself rather bold walking right into the lion's den.

    But I reasoned that I had nothing to hide from Uncle Sam . " They can

    probably sense when they 're dealing with thief ."



            A little later , at the State Division of Taxation where the

    young man had sent me, I pulled a yellow pen out of my coat pocket

    and looked at it with rush of PANIC : I had STOLEN the young man's

    pen !  I had a paranoid vision of him getting even with me big time .

        I recalled a similar scene from Arthur Miller's play " Death of a

    Salesman ".Biff had stolen a company executive's pen in the course of

    a job interview . Was that not a quick revelation of his untrustworthy

    character?

            Could I be ARRESTED for theft of government property and then

    found guilty of LYING UNDER OATH about it ? (  It was just absent

    mindedness, please believe me !  )

             I hurried back to the IRS office in a state of suspicious

    nervousness. I had to go through the line again as my reading glasses

    set off the metal detector .

             Inside the IRS office, I returned the " stolen " pen to the

    young man . " I'm VERY SORRY about this !  "  I said .

             I guess confession IS good for the soul .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron