Monday, February 8, 1999

A " Contact " dream

Last night I had an unusual dream - vivid, pleasant, and

    lucid. It may have been inspired by a rather sad newspaper story

    about the " last farm in Rhode Island " or images of my brother

    Steve' recent visit to sunny Italy or the Carl Sagan movie " Contact "

    where space traveler Jodie Foster  finds herself in an alien

    " golden country " controlled by semi-divine beings .

             In my dream I found myself back on an old New England

    farm at harvest time, in late August or early September. I was

    ecstatic by the abundance and variety  and the beauty of the

    farm produce all around me - a scene right out of the Roman

    poet Virgil's " Georgics ".

           I remember thinking this thought : there must have

    been a time  in the history of humanity - the agricultural

    revolution ? - when seeing what the good earth - " the mother

    of all things " could grow , with the creative help of mankind

    - stimulated the human mind and heart just as much as any

    gadgets we have around the house today. But here you had

    the glory of living things !

             That world is now dead to ninety percent of

    humanity. Yet unconsciously we long to again make

    " contact " with it , the living land - the closest

    we can ever get to the divine !


           One recalled incident in my dream : A fat, friendly

    pig comes through a wooden fence gate - right up to me.

     He is so intelligent and eager for my attention . I learn

    that this pig is the farm family's pet - not to be

    slaughtered . Then I woke up in less than idyllic Warwick,

    Rhode Island .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron