Wednesday, December 16, 1998

Newspaper " fame "

As I approached the bus shelter near the fire station on Roger

    Williams Ave. , I noticed a big tin garbage can that had not been there

    before. I instantly attributed it to the thoughtfulness of Senator Bob

    Kells, who lives in the neighborhood.  My family remembers him as a good

    neighbor ( even for a politician ) .

            With eyes on the garbage can, the old bum in me asked : " What's in

    it for me ? "  On the very top of the heap was a whole copy of the Providence

    Journal. I reflected on the etymology of the word EPHEMERAL . The headline

    about Clinton's impeachment would one day be as stale a memory as  " Watergate "

    - whatever FATE or DEMOCRACY OR CONSPIRACY decides .

          But I had just enough time at the bus stop to read a letter of mine

    that appeared that Monday (Dec.14 ) . In the letter I argued rather 

    facetiously that I was entitled to  half of Mo Vaughn's $ 87.5 million

    as " compensation " for abused and exploited ancestors.

            How comical are we humans : with hands in the trash can, we can still

    dream about reaching the stars. For most of us every day is DREAMTIME .

         That letter of mine was titled :" What's in it for me? "


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron