Thursday, December 24, 1998

" Chinagorom Chidiebere " - really ?

I felt some qualms over a letter I sent out yesterday . The

    gist of the letter was that multiple births -beyond triplets - were

    downright obscene. I titled the letter : " Multiple births and Mu                 

    Multiculturalism ". I was not ecstatic over the Nigerian woman, Nkem

    Chukwu, who gave birth to eight living " gifts of god " in the Texas

    Children's Hospital.

           But this morning when I read about the proud father of the brood,

    Iyke Louis Udobi, being charged with assaulting his mother -in- law , I

    felt better about that letter. What a way to begin a super family -to

    attack the Grandma of all Grandma !

          But I can only find forgiveness in my heart for the poor, overwhelmed

    Udobi, becoming overnight the father of eight at 41 .

          Had not God Himself commanded us humans to be fruitful and multiply ?

        The last child out of Nkem's womb, a girl, was named " Chinagorum

    Chidiebere, meaning " God is merciful ".

             I'll damm myself to hell - I know - by laughing about God's

    mysterious ways on Christmas Eve. But I must ask a sacrilegious question :

         What is MERCIFUL about octuplets ?  There is a picture of Udobi on

    page A3 ( Providence Journal, Dec. 24 ) . I have seen that look on many

    mental patients. If he spends his first year in jail for assaulting the

    Mother of All Mother in Laws, who will be supporting the kids ?

       Do welfare agencies think kids are " cheaper by the dozen "  ?


            " Be fruitful and multiply ! " Then be as nutty as a fruitcake !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron