Wednesday, January 31, 2024

I remember when our " Pop " ( WEAN radio name , Don Rogers ) was scolded by the station manger for playing too much Mantovani !

A still useful library reference book for classical music leads me to a masterpiece of " genius " now found on You Tube About 10 years ago I bought for just one dollar a classic music reference book ON SALE at the Providence Public Library. A digital tag on the back cover of the big paperback back indicated that it was in their Reference Dept. That useful to ME Ref. Dept. was strangely closed . Mostly public computers in that spacious room now. The book title : " The Penguin Guide to Recorded CLASSICAL MUSIC 2009 - " the perfect guide to building your classical collection. " Although my radio announcer father ( " Don Rogers " WEAN , Providence , did have an impressive record collection in our basement studio ( it was acquired FOR FREE after the station was sold forcing Pop's retirement ) those records - which would be quite valuable today - are long gone . But You Tube made it possible for me to " recover " so much of the music. The WEAN station manager once told Pop that he was overdoing Mantovani . Browsing this classical music reference book today I wondered if I could get what I imagined was an obscure piece . My attention was caught by this review which read in part : " Rozhdestvensky here conducts a passionate account of what in many ways is the most powerful of all the composer's ( Howels, Herbert ) major works ( page 593 ). The title " Missa Sabrinesis " . Another review called it " a masterpiece. Its true genius revealed in this exceptionally sensitive performance ". Was this " genius " musical work on You Tube , I wondered. Sure enough it was ! What I heard of the music so far makes me think it SUBLIME indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron