Wednesday, November 5, 2014

One vote for Mother Teresa not wasted!

Norman Rockwell's "Before & After Election Day"
To: letters@providencejournal.com

I did vote early yesterday in Cranston. Not pleased with the Democratic Party's smothering monopoly in this state, this registered Democrat still voted for "lesser evil" Democrats who at least pretend to be for the WORKING class– a vast class that has not disappeared into the comfortable but nervous and insecure MIDDLE CLASS.

But I just could not get myself to vote for Gina Raimondo for governor of Rhode Island. Like the party's national leader, Barack Obama, a puffed up, phony "leftist" in 2008, I did not sense in Gina a hint of a threat to the American plutocracy– the ONE PERCENT. So taking a hint from our Catholic Bishop Tobin, I did a WRITE IN for the "safely dead saint" Mother Teresa. For me it was no more a WASTED VOTE than all those votes (a remarkable 22%?) for the Moderate Party candidate Bob Healey.

In Providence it was clearly the "Last Hurrah" for the legendary  Vincent "Buddy" Cianci. I think this now aging and sickly guy achieved a moral victory in the end (he was hardly trounced by the Providence Journal's relentless elitist ANTI-CORRUPTION campaign.) And he "never did stop loving Providence".

I am not shocked or too discouraged by the Republican sweep of the United States Congress. As an ancient Roman Emperor put it, they are holding a wolf by the ears. It is NOT 1980 again, a return to Reagan Era conservatism.

The American voters are clearly fed up with the two party system- not embracing crackpot Ayn Rand-ism.

In voting for "Mother Teresa" I was not voting for the old Baltimore Catechism (a real CLASSIC in a way). I was expressing my CLASS interests. Real working people can easily identify with society's outcasts–the poor and homeless. 

                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron