Thursday, October 14, 1999

Dr.Francis question -guns

Sometimes I suspect that a letter's significance is inversely proportional to its length. Dr. Warren W. Francis asks this morning ( Nov. 13) : "Why should anyone other than the military or the police be allowed to own or carry a pistol ? "

I myself advocate strong gun control. But I think many people own guns not for a hobby or with criminal intent: They don't trust the established institutions of our democracy to protect them. Do they foresee some future breakdown in " law and order " - and want to be prepared ? Or do they fear Big Government crushing their "freedom " ?

Man has been described as a tool making animal. Our tool are extensions of ourselves - of our WILL. We think that it is dangerous for an aggressive, hostile man to own a gun. But psychology might suggest that the very possession of a gun alters our personality -making us more aggressive and hostile: " HAVE GUN -WILL TRAVEL " .

After a scary night, I kept a baseball bat under my bed. After a while I got rid of the bat. I did not like being " a guy with a ready baseball bat ".

For now I will repeat : " Support your local police ! "And a patriotic salute to the Pentagon. Pacifists by nature can sleep peacefully .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron