Friday, October 8, 1999

A chance for higher education

The young black woman at the bus stop had a pleasant smile, I thought. She pointed to a rather drab looking caterpillar on the pathway of the bus. "A sure loser ! " I thought.

I tore off a piece of the Providence Journal. The caterpillar crawled over it. I left the creature on the grass, a safe distance from the road.

" Now it has a chance to become a butterfly, " I said.

" Yea", said the black girl, " then it can fly over the road! ".

This scene was at the Lincoln campus of the Community College of Rhode Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron