Tuesday, January 26, 1999

Let teens vote !

I just heard on the radio that interest in politics is at an all

    time low among the nation's youth. It is hard to imagine 60s kids

    being indifferent to the impending " crisis of legitimacy " in our

    government.

        Should seedy and reactionary old men like Henry Hyde decide the

    fate of the nation behind august but CLOSED Senate doors ?

       But we must face this bleak truth : too often the MAJORITY

    prefers to just sleep through a political crisis. Millions of

    citizens never bother to vote.

        I think there is a sound argument for making voting compulsory

    in a society that strives to be democratic.

         And I also think there is no sound argument for denying teenagers

    the right to vote. I recall nervously following the Cuban missile crisis

    in 1962 -when I was only 15.

         The experience of my life tells me that the virtue of CONCERN -

    and intellectual alertness -hardly improve with age.

       Should teenagers have the right to vote ? What do THEY think ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron