Friday, May 27, 2022

Thank God for archives !

Thank God for ARCHIVES ! Taking my Twilight walk recently in the Knightsville neighborhood of Cranston a memorial stone in front of the V.F.W.. Post no 4651 near Saint Mary's Catholic Church caught my attention . Two names of young soldiers killed in Vietnam : Daniel R. Nelson and George J. Mack . With Memorial Day near I became curious about the story and the memories behind those names of the two now gone for more than a half a century. Both showed up with faces on " THE WALL OF FACES " . Daniel fell at Quang Tri on 6/23/69 . HOME OF RECORD : COVENTRY. BRANCH OF SERVICE : MARINE CORP . George Jacob Mack . Mack fell at Quang Nam on 5/14/1966. HOME OF RECORD CRANSTON .BRANCH OF SERVICE : MARINE CORPS. I was able to read a few posted memories of both young men. I did reflect that I was around their ages in the mid and late 60s. I read Ron Kovic's book " Born on the Fourth of July ". And never regretted protesting that war nor the equally tragic wars to come. Walking in a nearby cemetery some weeks ago in Johnston my brother Steve had the eerie experience of spotting a gravestone of a mere infant girl with the same birthdate as he August 28, 1954 . He was a still alive 68 years later. The BELOVED little girl never got started in life. On a walk in Saint Ann's Cemetery in Cranston I was struck my another gravestone that warned me : " As I am so you shall be ". A translation from the Latin on an old gravestone in ancient Rome. Does any old archive bring that FACE and SOUL to life ? Ultimately, I think , only God remembers us . HE who said " DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME ". VIDEO NOW: Providence City Council, city Archives unveil monument honoring a local fallen soldier YOUTUBE.COM VIDEO NOW: Providence City Council, city Archives unveil monument honoring a local fallen soldier

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron