Friday, April 12, 2002

Church could collapse like the Soviet Union ?

          Reading numerous editorials, columns, and letters in  American

    newspapers, I can now see how the pedophilia scandals in the Catholic

    Church have evolved into something much bigger , something of millennial

    consequences : a crisis of FAITH .

                  Now I wonder if the 2000 year old Church - the ROCK OF AGES -

    will crumble as suddenly and dramatically as the Evil Empire did just

    ten years ago. Church officials  think that Cardinal Law's resignation

    might have a snowball effect . Yes, sounds familiar : Today Poland then

    Berlin. And after the Berlin Wall comes down, the betrayed faithful will

    assemble in fury at the very gates of the Kremlin.

                A parallel with the Church : today Boston, tomorrow Rome !

             Actually I am sad at the prospect of a religious catastrophe.

    The Church lost its hold on my mind in the 60s. But it still has a claim

    on my heart. I do not think the world will be a better place without

    its pompous and sentimental irrelevance.

                And what will fill the spiritual vacuum ? Dialect materialism ?

    Crackpot sects ?  Dark Age superstition ?

                 Perhaps a new Aquinas or St.Augustine will emerge to re-establish

    its once awesome intellectual and moral authority.

                Oddly enough, I - a radical liberal - believe that Vatican II

    was the beginning of the END for the Catholic Church, its self-destruction.

                   When I do visit a church, I miss the ancient Latin, the

    old mystique. And I HATE having to shake anybody's hand.  I can shake

    hands with swindlers on Wall Street too !

                     Time for Jesus to come back ! But for now I'll get

    back to my Carl Sagan and my Isaac Asimov. Thank God for smart Jews !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron