Thursday, September 28, 2023

A " Mother Teresa Moment "

Returning from a visit to Rhode Island Museum of Art my brother Steve and encountered this homeless man sound asleep in the tunnel of Providence, Rhode Island 's Waterplace Park near squalid Kennedy Plaza. Just last week I encountered three homeless women huddled in a storefront just yards from Providence City Hall. All the puffed up, Governor appointed " Housing CZARS are good for nothing ! Ron, [ brother Steve's " description " If you recall, when we walked under the bridge at Providence Place Park this past Tuesday, I was startled to see a brilliant, almost ethereal shaft of sunlight shining down the tunnel wall directly onto the figure of a homeless man sleeping peacefully under the cobblestone bridge. My immediate reaction was "Wow – this is a Mother Teresa moment!". I wasn't sure if you understood why I used those words. I'm not sure myself. But the image before me struck me on a very emotional level. And I felt somewhat uncomfortable taking a photo of this unfortunate man. But this image haunted me, and on further reflection, I now feel that the reason I declared it "a Mother Teresa moment" was that it was begging for human charity and kindness and that providence itself was imploring us to "SEE THIS!" and had cast a light divine on this man, demanding us to record this shameful social atrocity that is now much less easy to ignore! I've attached an image of that moment under the bridge to this email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron