Saturday, August 14, 2021

Thought on the autobiography of Oliver Sacks

I started reading this book last night . Tough to reconcile scientific and imaginative genius with a shockingly wacky personal life . As Oliver Sacks related his homosexual encounters and relationships I was taken back to the late sixties and 70s SEXUAL REVOLUTION era. I recall reading Wilhelm Reich's " Sexual Revolution " . Is it dangerous today to talk about the sexual rights of adolescents ? Long before the age of 40 I could observe that promiscuous sex, and drugs, and alcohol can only lead to a ruined soul. Looking back I don't regret my old fashioned Catholic -not quite puritanical for a bachelor - way of living . My THINKING is always more radical than my behavior . As far as judging other people I am an incurable tolerant liberal . But at times HELL does seem just about right for the self-damned living dead . In my brain the supernatural of horror fiction ( H.P. Lovecraft , Poe, Stephen King ) lives side by side with Carl Sagan, Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud , and Bertrand Russell .] Review: Oliver Sacks' 'On the Move' a memoir of an extraordinary life LATIMES.COM Review: Oliver Sacks' 'On the Move' a memoir of an extraordinary life Neurologist Oliver Sacks has engaged, amazed and enlightened readers with his case studies of neurological aberrations, which include "Awakenings," "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" and "Musicophilia."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron