Wednesday, November 24, 1999

Scarlett O'Hara Inspires the Homeless

If I were hungry and homeless,I would hope that pure GUMPTION might solve my problem. Headline in today's Projo: " Beds scarce for homeless ". How long have we been reading about the HUNGRY and the HOMELESS ? And what has really
been done about this appalling misery in the midst of plenty ?

The capitalist press has turned it into a depressing BUSINESS. At least there is money to be made writing about it. The middle class readers can then thank God for their own comfort. THEY must be His Chosen People!

Recall that famous scene in " Gone with the Wind " where the heroine, Scarlett O'Hara, swears to God that she will never be hungry again :

" As God is my witness...I'm going to live through this, and when it's all over,I'll never be hungry again -no , nor any of my folks!

" If I have to LIE , CHEAT , or KILL ! As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again ". "

Great words, Scarlett ! Replace hungry with HOMELESS and we have a practical program for dealing with these enduring evils ?

For a more philosophical treatment of this topic - oppression and the class basis of morality - read Leon Trotsky's " Their Morals and Ours ".

I can almost agree with this exiled Russian revolutionary -assassinated by Stalin in Mexico in 1940 .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron