Sunday, November 21, 1999

Kid smoker: " I'll die anyway "

Tom Fisher is " famous" this morning ( front page, Nov. 20) for a sad reason - a memorable quote: " I'll die anyway ", the 17 year old said in defense of his cigarette addiction. " I might as well die doing what I love doing " . I'm amazed - the pleasure is that great !

With that kind of courage , he might be worthy of a more meaningful death - perhaps dying for his country in the next " good war " .

Here we see hedonism rising above the instinct to live . Not only to live but to live a life that mattered .

A kid with no sense of REALITY does not really KNOW that he is going to die the way a middle aged guy KNOWS for sure that he'll die - and soon enough : just be PATIENT you inveterate readers of obituaries !

I blame Hollywood movies for inspiring kids to smoke. Just last night I observed that every kid in the popular movie " Stand by me " based on a Stephen King story smoked . A multi-million dollar advertisement for the tobacco industry.

I thank the old " Reader's Digest " for warning me about the evils of smoking . When I was Tom Fisher's age I read " I am Joe's Lungs ". How many kids are addicted to READING ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron