Monday, May 11, 1998

Two 1968 Memories

 In a column today ( May 10 )  , Jonah Raskin, the author of

    the " Life and Times of Abbie Hoffman " ( RIP Abbie! ) flashes back

    to the most outstanding year in my  personal memory - 1968, the Apocalypse

    Now year . His column is poignantly titled : " If you were there, 1968

    is you ". Being in my core mostly just an " observer of life "- even way

    back then - I managed to stay out of all kinds of potential trouble. The

    anti-war demonstrations I attended were big hearted and peaceful. But I

    felt in the depths of my soul the " violence " of the year  -a most

    powerful " energy field of HISTORY ". Yes indeed " something is happening

    here ". We were all going to heaven; we were all going to hell.

         I remember while stretched out on a lawn cot the day after the

    horrifying Democratic National Convention , deciding that I would not

    vote for anybody  on election day running for President of the United

    States " Nixon, Humphrey, Wallace - don't make me puke ! "

        I have changed a little. I now always vote in elections - even if

    just for the lesser evil. There is too much " devil " in me not to

    compromise with the DEVIL.

         A very personal memory is being evicted from my college English

    composition class. I had written an essay titled : " The Meaning of

    the Hippies " . The professor waved in the air. Not even knowing me

    he declared that I had plagiarized it. " We don't want people like

    YOU in our class ! "

         He was really a decent man and an excellent teacher. " You could

    not SPELL half the words you used in this paper ! " he challenged me.

       I went to the blackboard an spelled correctly all ten words he yelled

    at me. Then I left the classroom, not humiliated but defiant.

         Exiting I heard him say : " He was clever enough to to memorize

    the words before he came to class this morning."

        The matter was straightened out .  I proved from my notes that

    every sentence in the " radical " essay was my own. It is to write

    half well when you FEEL DEEPLY about an issue. ( easy to write well )

          That essay is still ME but it has disappeared . But somehow I

    still feel that THEY do not want people LIKE ME in THEIR class !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron