Saturday, May 9, 1998

A spaghetti " special "

Several days a week I usually have the " breakfast special " at

    a New York System restaurant in downtown Providence, right near the

    public library . Ted, the manager, quickly serves me two eggs over -

    medium with home fries, rye toast and coffee - always just two dollars.

       But yesterday I arrived a little to late for my usual breakfast. A

    young waitress quickly suggested to me the lunch special- "spaghetti

    and meatball with power ball ( a lottery ) . I was thinking of American

    chop suey -usually about $4.00. But I quickly decided for the " power

    ball special ", though I never -on principle - gamble.

        For a modest restaurant  Ted's  meat sauce was quite good -" better

    than the Mayor 's Own ", I complimented him . ( Mayor Cianci has a little

    business on the side ) . I paid no attention to the price until I was

    at the cash register. I expected the " special " would cost about as

    much as American chop suey. Surprise !  "  Six dollars ", Ted tells

    me. Just a moment of " shock " as  I considered the power ball ticket.

        I only had about $7.00 in my bill fold ! I did not study the numbers

    on the power ball ticket.

        This morning I ripped it up, again without looking at it . It was

    the principle of the thing. But I am not mad at Ted .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron