Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Do even self-described atheists fear supernatural EVIL ? H.P. Lovecraft , for example ?

I read this story on a Sunday afternoon and I still wonder if H.P. Lovecraft's militant " materialism " ( as expressed in his voluminous letters ) only suppressed a deep FEAR of supernatural evil ? This story could have inspired William Peter Blatty's very Catholic horror novel ( and movie ) titled " The Exorcist " . I see myself as an oh so scientific minded individual influenced in my younger days by Bertrand Russell , Isaac Asimov , Carl Sagan . But my soul remains a Pre-Vatican II Catholic that at times can sniff out Satanic EVIL . Go figure ! Are you really a MATERIALIST if all your life you have the most vivid dreams of COSMIC HORROR and supernatural EVIL ? To be sure , the New Atheism seems to be a fading " movement ". Even Isaac Asimov wondered if God ( if HE exists ) would tolerate WISE GUY irreverence ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron