Monday, April 25, 2022

A GOOD horror story makes us feel like Dante after completing his journey through " The Inferno " , the nine circles of HELL . Thinking " I'll be GOOD ! I'll be GOOD ! "

I read this Peter Straub horror story yesterday . It did measure up to other notable horror fiction I have read. I need to " incubate " a story before I can say anything constructive about it. What I did feel was some curious lack of CONNECTION between devotion to JAZZ , love of JAZZ , JAZZ genius and the HORROR TALE theme here. For me emotionally JAZZ music - as I have experienced it -is the opposite of CREEPY , indeed an ANTIDOTE to CREEPY. Perhaps I just answered my own question. It is clear that you can't enjoy any horror tale or fantasy fiction unless you turn off your SCIENTIFIC mind . Which is probably just what our " dream state " does . I recall the Catholic writer Chesterton saying that the COMPLETELY rational soul must be insane. Perhaps horror writer H.P. Lovecraft saved his " atheist " , " materialist " soul by exploring the world of COSMIC HORROR. I had the same feeling about the DREAM WORLD while reading the New Testament " Book of Revelation " - the English-Latin Vulgate version . That gets quite eerie and creepy too, perhaps giving to early Christians the first AD visions of HELL . In general, READING any short story or novel is to turn on the DREAM WORLD. A GOOD horror story makes us feel like Dante after completing his journey though " The Inferno " , the nine circles of HELL . Thinking " I'll be GOOD ! I'll be GOOD ! " [ Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub YOUTUBE.COM Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub"Sometimes people just disappeared. They'd .. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron