Thursday, August 24, 2017

Interesting RIPTA rider's view of HAVES and HAVE NOTS on the bus



  [ I took the bus and never in my life saw such a visual disparity between the have's and the have not's. There are 2 routes, the 42 and the 99 that only really differentiate themselves by the side of a hill they drive on. The 42 goes through the east side of Providence, the 99 goes down North Main Street. I was able to take both home, depending on which one showed up first.

One is full of the broken, the down trodden, the used up and overwhelmed. It stops by a church that provides meals and AA meetings for junkies. A sickly looking woman of about 25 or so, once got on. Her fur coat was matted, and smoked. It probably came to the thrift store as mink, but was worn down until it looked like raccoon. I gave her my seat, as she didn't seem like she could stand. This was taken as a romantic gesture by her muscled boyfriend who I did not notice. She made several statements aimed to anger him, in hopes of some proof of his passion.
 I got off and walked home.

On this bus clothes are visibly dirty and can be smelled from across the aisle. Peoples eyes are faded and downcast. They have the same look as abandoned animals.

The other, the 42, goes through farmers markets full of grocery bags made of canvas. It drives by olive oil stores, and artisan bread markets. Students form Brown are seen getting on, loading up their Iphones and enjoying a good read.

 The problems of the 99 bus seem so distant like an island off the beach we are all enjoying. On this bus, i'm not asked if I'm a lawyer because I'm in a suit. The bus driver says goodbye when you get off.

I'm back in my car, but I still see people on both routes waiting at the stops. How different everyone is, and all the problems everyone has is easier to study and wonder about in an air condition car.
]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron