Monday, March 24, 2003

My nephew Chris injured in war


              In a recent e-mail I mentioned in passing that my nephew

    " Chris " was  presently with the United States Marine Corps somewhere

    in Kuwait. I asked -despite my semi-pacifist view here : " How could I

    not wish Chris and his marine buddies success in ridding the world of

    a tyranny  ? "  ( near quote ) .

              Early yesterday morning, a Sunday of shock and awe indeed,

    my sister, now Rita Covil of Coventry, a nurse at Kent County Hospital

    for many years, told me on the phone right after I said " You must be a

    nervous wreck "  in a seemingly calm voice that her son, Chris, had been

    seriously injured in an explosion over there ( perhaps Iraq ) and was

    now on his way to a hospital in Germany.

               But his injury is not life threatening - possibly permanent

    damage to his inner ear. And a short career in the Marine Corp., I suspect.

               My best wishes to Chris and his injured buddies. But enough of

    this SHOCK & AWE for now. It sounds like a translation from the Prussian.

               Americans should not go berserk with division over THIS war.

    A year from now we will all be wiser and sadder about being NUMERO UNO

    in this crazy world !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron