Tuesday, November 7, 2000

Election day hassle

 A veteran voter -voting in every presidential election

    since 1972 - often voting as a registered Democrat in primaries -

    I was told by  a poll troll that I was  an " inactive " voter.

    I learned - rather late in life, I guess - that there is no

    such thing as a CITIZEN VOTER . One is registered to vote,

    even for STATE and  NATIONAL candidates,  only at point A

    in Rhode Island - and not point B even if point B is within

    walking distance of point A .

              I had lived in Warwick for a couple of years but

    never registered to vote there - not caring to vote for

    golden boy , " Linc " anyway .

           My old neighbor in Providence, Senator Bob Kells, told

    me to explain  my problem at Providence City Hall.  " Could

    I cut my losses and just vote for President and Vice President

    at the Civic Center ? "  I asked .  Some female hack from hell

    in Cianci 's City Hall showed only bureaucratic contempt for

    a guy just trying to do his civic duty - but had the nerve

    to move from point A in tiny Rhode Island to point B in tiny

    Rhode Island just weeks before  election day .

              The hassle  reaffirmed my anti- establishment mood.

    There was some possibility right to end that I would vote

    for Al Gore .

              At East Providence City Hall , I had PROOF of my

    new address -2432 Pawtucket Ave. , East Providence.

          But No I could only vote for President and Vice -President

    after signing a statement that no  court judge had found me

    mentally incompetent !

             With a vengeance, I voted for Ralph Nader !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron